Although flammability is one of the significant safety concerns with LPG, it is not the only one. Sound safety practices can address the hazards associated with LPG production, storage, and transportation. The safety relief valve is a device that primarily focuses on the protection of life, property and the environment. It is designed to protect the pressurized vessel or system against over-pressure in case all other systems fail.
The case of overpressure occurs when any situation or condition causes the pressure in a vessel to increase beyond the desired pressure or the maximum allowed working pressure.
A safety relief valve is specifically designed to open and relieve the excess pressure from the equipment or vessel and re-close to prevent further release of the gas once normal conditions are restored. It is often the last line of defence for the operation and must be certified and capable of operating at all times under all circumstances.
Operation of a Safety Relief Valve
During the operation of LPG, the safety relief valve is usually closed until the pressure upstream reaches the desired set pressure. Once it reaches the set pressure, the valve cracks open and continues to open further, allowing more flow when the pressure increases. When the upstream pressure falls below the set pressure, the valve will close again. The safety valve has a valve element, a sensing element and a reference force element. One of the most critical quality characteristics of the valve is its functional tightness between the seat and the disc. Since reliability of the device is related to its functionality and performance, the design of the safety relief valve must be as uncomplicated and efficient as possible.
Benefits of Using a Safety Relief Valve:
- Ensures safety of your plant and your employees
- Can be used to protect any enclosed LPG, propane or ammonia system
- Helps in restoring fluid with minimum wastage
- After releasing the pressure, the safety valve sits firmly on the seat and seals completely
- Wide range of applications on all types of storage and transport tanks
- No possibility of tampering as it requires very less headroom
- Various types of safety relief valves available for multiple uses like pop action safety valve, tank mounting valves, thermal safety relief valve, angle type safety valve, excess flow check valve
- Manufactured as per international standards and guidelines, adding an extra layer of trust
Things to Keep in Mind when Working with LPG Storage or Transport
LPG cylinders or tanks should never be liquid-full. Climatic conditions can influence the degree of completeness required. However, it is considered standard practice to fill only 80% of the water capacity of the vessel. In some instances, overfill devices can be required to provide protection.
The team should be made aware of how to recognize the smell of LPG in case of a leak and what action should be taken when gas is detected.
It’s essential to use only well-maintained and fit-for-purpose appliances and equipment systems with the tank.
Anil Engineering Pvt. Ltd. is a leading manufacturer and supplier of LPG vaporizers. The company provides top-quality safety relief valves for LPG plants all over the country and the world. Choose from external, internal and angle valves for multiple applications. Contact today!